Calla’s been having nightmares lately, coupled with moving into a new room, I knew I needed to make something to help her sleep. We decided on a mini dreamcatcher. Of course I wanted it light, bright and small. I think miniature dreamcatchers are just the cutest.
You don’t need too many supplies, and it doesn’t take much time at all to create this comforting symbol for your little one’s room.
This would also be an adorable handmade gift for a baby shower. You could even wrap a present with kraft paper and tape this onto the top of the gift.
1. Wrap your color choice of yarn all the way around the bracelet. The tighter you pull the better. Tie off at top and leave enough room to use yarn as hanger.
2. Use the thin polished hemp string to create the pattern of your choice. I chose a simple star and threaded a bead on three of the strings.
3. Now it’s time to make your washi tape feathers. Cut a three inch piece of embroidery thread and a 1-2 inch piece of washi tape. Lay washi tape sticky side up and place the length of thread as long as you want your feather to be in the middle of the tape. Fold tape over, sticky side to sticky side and press down firmly.
4. Cut out shape of feather.
5. Glue or tie onto the bottom of your dreamcatcher.Have fun with this simple DIY project. They are fun to make with the kids too. Calla loved picking out the beads, wrapping the yarn around the bracelet and picking out the washi tape for the feathers. Now here’s to no more scary nightmares! –Melissa
All photos by Melissa Fenlon for alice & lois design studios. All rights reserved.