Years ago I was on the search for the best banana bread recipe. So many of the recipes I tried had too much oil, butter or sugar. The bread ended up being greasy. I found this recipe in 2006 and I haven’t turned back since. The secret in this recipe is using low fat vanilla yogurt instead of oil. This makes the bread really moist without all of the butter and oil. I have made a few minor adjustments to the recipe.
Click “read more” for the recipe.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (6-ounce) carton vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 3/4 cup ripe mashed bananas (about 1 1/2 bananas) – I use 2 bananas
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (I omit this as the yogurt adds enough vanilla flavor for me)
- Cooking spray
- chopped nuts or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and ground cloves. Add flour mixture and yogurt alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in bananas and vanilla. Pour batter into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean (I bake for 55 minutes). Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.