Babies are woven into our everyday lives. So we wanted to celebrate them with our new series, Baby Love. For the next six weeks we will be sharing our love for babies through DIY projects, recipes and wellness. Join us for some Baby Love!
Our first project for Baby Love is a DIY for hand-stamped baby leggings. We have been coveting printed leggings for some time for the sweet babes. This project is a simple and a cheaper alternative.
Supplies: baby leggings, fabric paint, sponge brush, erasers, pencils (with unused eraser top), X-Acto knife, iron, paper
First you need to create a design for the stamp. I went simple – a dot and a heart. I used the eraser top of a pencil for the dot and created my own heart stamp using a block eraser. Wash and dry the leggings before stamping.
Gold Dot Leggings:
1. Dip the pencil eraser top in the gold glitter paint. Use a generous amount.
2. Press the eraser top onto the leggings. Stamp the front of leggings. Let the leggings completely dry before stamping the back. After completely dry, heat set the paint using the steam setting on your iron (do not press the iron directly on paint).
1. Draw heart design on a clean/unused eraser.
2. Cut into the eraser along the shape using an X-Acto knife.
3. Next, cutting from the side of the eraser toward the heart shape, cut away the extra parts of the eraser.
4. Finish cutting away the eraser part outside of the heart shape until you have made yourself a stamp!
5. Cut paper to fit the inside of the leggings as a liner so that the paint will not bleed through. Using a sponge brush, add fabric paint to stamp.
6. Press the stamp firmly to the leggings. Stamp the front of leggings. Let the leggings completely dry before stamping the back. After completely dry, heat set the paint using the steam setting on your iron (do not press the iron directly on paint). Hold the iron a few inches above paint and hold for a few seconds. You can also heat set using dry setting and press the leggings with a thin dish towel in between the iron and leggings.
*I recommend letting the leggings dry overnight before heat setting.
Enjoy your hip new baby leggings!