This is a beginner sewing tutorial that I was honored to contribute on the blog Craft Snob, in the Bite Sized Sewing column. This tutorial for a little girls fabric headband takes under 30 minutes to complete. This makes a perfect stocking stuffer this holiday!
Read more for the full DIY Fabric Headband tutorial – Handmade Gift Series tutorial.
- scrap fabric (100% cotton works best)
- fold over elastic
- sewing machine
1. Using template (download and print here) cut 2 headband pieces. Fold fabric and place wide end of template on fold. The headband pieces are 12 inches in length. The oval shape headband is 1.25 inches on the ends and 2.5 inches in the middle. Cut a 10 inch piece of fold over elastic.
2. Place the right sides of the fabric together. Fold down 1/4 inch and iron one end of headband. Slid in the FOE between the fabric pieces. Pin the pieces together.
3. Starting at the end of the headband with the FOE sticking out, sew that end and the two long sides. Leave the other end of headband open. Leave a half inch on each side of 2 long sides on the open end.
4. Next pull the the inside out by pulling the inner fabric through the open end of headband.
5. Iron the headband flat. Iron in a quarter inch on the open end of the headband.
6. Slip the FOE in the opening (about 1/2 inch). I recommend measuring your child’s head to determine the perfect fit for elastic.
7. Topstich all the way around the headband to give a clean look. Make sure and back stitch on the ends to ensure the elastic is secure.
Now you have a sweet and simple fabric headband for your little girl.
*Check out the tutorial for the same headband for women here!
Enjoy your sewing! – Sara